Connect with Me!
Check Out my books, videos, and podcast at StorySpectacular.com
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Foster Creativity!!! (Podcast & Book Recommendations)
Read these Great Books:
Listen to Inspiring Podcasts:
Find a Critique Group
- The Desk Drawer –Email based writing workshop, (larger groups)
- Inked Voices –Find a small online group or workshop
- Critique Circle – You earn critique “credits” based on how many other manuscripts you review.
- Adobe Photoshop Elements – is an affordable software that is perfect for beginners. I have illustrated 7 books with this program.
- Hire and Illustrator– Okay I’ll be honest. I am not sure on this one but I know my friend Eevi Jones has some pointers on this, so see more from her below…
Self Publishing Picture Books:
A MUST Read!!!
How to Self-Publish a Children’s Book by Eevi Jones
You guys, my girl Eevi Jones knows her stuff! Especially when it comes to understanding the online marketing of picture books. She provides you with all the tools to become a successful children’s book author in today’s world. I cannot recommend this book enough!!!
Eevi also provides in step by step details to writing and self-publishing children’s books and much much more. Check out all of her comprehensive author resources at eevijones.com
Create your Story with CreateSpace
I have used CreateSpace to self-publish all of my picture books. They are a division of Amazon & I love their POD model. It is a little tricky to figure out your first go around, but once you publish your first book and get the hang of things, you are gonna want to publish more and more! This service is a total game changer for authors. It is super affordable with high royalties and great options for ebooks, audio albums, videos etc…
Record your Stories!
Audacity – free download for Mac & PCs
GarageBand – standard on most Macs
Collaborate in the Classroom with Soundtrap– a collaborative online recording studio!
If you are serious about becoming a children’s book author/illustrator, I highly recommend joining the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators. They provide countless resources for every stage of the journey and connect you with other authors, illustrators agents and editors from all around the world.
Websites are a MUST!
Here is a guide to help you choose a web builder for your Author Website: The Best Website Builders
Find Your Marketing Mentors!
- How To Self-Publish a Children’s Book by Eevi Jones
- Content Inc by Joe Pulizzi
- Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk
- EVERYTHING BY SETH GODIN!!!
More tips to help you become a professional writer